Hey! MetaMask user. If you are an intermediate or an experienced user of MetaMask, then I’m sure that you are aware of its distribution channel for its extension version which is known as MetaMask Flask. And after doing research on MetaMask Flask, if you are looking for an introductory guide on the Snaps feature of MetaMask Flask, then assume that this blog is specially made for you.
In our further content, we will cover an introduction to MetaMask Snaps, how it works, its features, and an instruction guide that will help you to interact with it.
What are MetaMask Snaps?
After reading through the above sections, if you already know about Metamask extension then I want you to clarify that MetaMask Snaps is the first introduced feature of it. It enables the developers to introduce code snippets in order to expand the functionalities in their Wallet. If you want to know more about it, then take a jump to the next section of this write-up.
How does it work?
According to the collected information, the current software version of MetaMask Snaps only allows the developers to change the MetaMask UI in a restricted way.
Features of MetaMask Snaps:
We have mentioned below some of the key features of Snaps.
- Comes in the form of a desktop browser extension that is currently only available on “Google Chrome” and “Firefox”.
- Lets users build and plug in their own APIs (application programming interface) to MetaMask.
- Expand the functionalities in the Wallet.
- Allows Web3 developers to use the full power of the MetaMask platform in order to create new types of decentralized applications.
- Support all assets and networks that are available on the stable MetaMask applications.
Procedure to interact with MetaMask Snaps:
After covering the above sections if you are interested in knowing about the instructions that can help you to interact with MetaMask Snaps, then follow the given below steps.
Note: Before following the given below steps, it is required to download MetaMask Flask on your preferred OS.
- In the initial step, launch and unlock MetaMask Flask Extension on your preferred OS.
- Go ahead to the settings section.
- Click on the newly added feature, located at the left menu bar i.e. “Snaps”.
- Now, as we have not used the Snap feature so, in this step you can see the “No Snaps installed” text.
- Visit the official web page of “filsnap.netlify.app” and then hit on “Connect to MetaMask”.
- Hit on “Connect” in the MetaMask pop-up notification.
- Click on “Approve Install” and then you will be redirected to the “Filsnap demo” page.
- Now, switch back to the “Snaps” section in your MetaMask Flask, and then you will be able to see “Filesnap” is added and running.
After following all of these instructions, you can easily interact with MetaMask Snaps. And if you want to check whether your snap is able to execute the code or not, then enter any text in the “Sign custom message” text field and then click on “Sign”. At last click on the “Approve” button in the pop-up section, then will be able to see that the signature of the message is generated which indicates that the snap is working and the code is executed.
MetaMask is the first-ever crypto wallet that provides the flexibility of extensibility via Metamask extension and in addition to the Ethereum, it will also boost the rate of innovation in the entire Web3 ecosystem. Along with that, if you are interested in interacting with MetaMask Snap then you can navigate through the instructions mentioned by us in the above sections of this write-up.